Dental crowns Arlington VA, are designed to suit individual size and shape of teeth. Wondering what is a dental crown? Well, it is a tooth shaped cap designed to protect the tooth while restoring its size, strength and shape. This cap is placed on the tooth and cemented right from the gum lining of the tooth. Crown application is one of teeth protective procedures performed in cosmetic dentistry. They are highly recommended to provide extra support for relatively damaged teeth or cover teeth with uneven sharp edges among other dental flaws. However, the crown should be chosen keenly in order to suit the color of the teeth for aesthetic purposes. Below are some facts about crowns that you need to know for an informed decision;
Benefits of dental crowns
Application of dental crowns on teeth with varying dental flaws brings both health and aesthetic benefits. When a crown procedure is performed, the affected teeth are restored and their appearance enhanced. Here are some reasons for considering this particular procedure;
- Weak tooth protection– The crown is placed on a tooth badly damaged by decay or by cracks. This protects the tooth from further weakening that can lead to breaking hence tooth loss.
- Protect the tooth after filling– A severely decayed tooth may require a large amount of filling to hold in place the remaining small piece. A crown is placed on the tooth after the filling procedure to secure it.
- To cover flawed teeth– crowns are applied to cover teeth with flaws such as unevenly shaped or severely stained teeth. In this case, the caps add aesthetic value giving an individual freedom to smile.
- Tooth protection after a major procedure– Application of crowns on teeth that have undergone major dental procedures is essential. Crown procedure is highly recommended after a tooth implant or root cannel treatment among other major procedures.
- Hold a tooth bridge in place– A tooth bridge is prone to pressure from the neighboring teeth during the chewing process. A crown acts as a tooth bridge anchor, hence keeping it from moving.
- Child teeth protection– It is difficult for young children to maintain the required oral hygiene that may lead to massive teeth decay and other oral health issues. Crowns help in protecting the teeth from decay.
Types of dental crowns
Different types of dental crowns are available to suit the taste and financial muscle of every individual in need of the procedure. However, it is advisable to consult your dentist in order to make an informed decision. The following are the varieties for you to choose from;
- Metal crowns- Dental caps derived from metal materials such as gold and alloys are present in the clinics. Metal caps resist biting and chewing pressure hence lasting longer.
- Stainless steel crowns- These are prefabricated dental caps normally applied on the teeth as a temporary measure. They are the best choice for children waiting for the growth of permanent teeth.
- All resin crowns- They are less expensive but prone to cracking hence getting worn easily.
- Porcelain crowns- These dental caps are a right fit for people who are allergic to metallic materials.
- Milled crowns- They are produced using digital software and hardware. No impression is required for this type of crowns.
Side effects of dental crowns procedure
Just like any medical procedure, application of dental crowns has side effects. However, constant communication with your dentist helps in early detection of the risks and preventing or handling them effectively. One may experience the following risks;
- Tooth decay if the dental cap is not well cemented.
- Shifting of the fixed crown
- Allergic reaction to the materials used to make the crown.
Dental Crowns Arlington VA, the effective, affordable and save solution to your teeth problems.