One of the major drawbacks of the conventional braces is their unaesthetic appearance, and the difficulty they cause during speech and eating. Many patients, therefore, object to using braces for their orthodontic treatment. If you are one of those individuals who do not like the ugly and uncomfortable braces, then we have a better treatment option for you at Cosmo Smiles dentist office. Say hello to the Invisalign clear aligners!
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a removable orthodontic treatment system, which utilizes plastic aligners for aligning teeth. Since these aligners are prepared from a clear acrylic resin, they possess excellent esthetics and do not disturb your smile. In fact, they will be virtually invisible whenever you open your mouth to speak or smile. In addition, they are also very convenient to use and can be easily removed at your will, just like dentures.
Free no obligation Invisalign Consult
Call Now 571.210.4747 to request a free consultation.
Who Can Benefit from Invisalign Treatment?
The Invisalign system can be used for the treatment of virtually all types of orthodontic problems. At Cosmo Smile, we have the best dentists in DC who can help you in the treatment of the following orthodontic problems with Invisalign:
- Crowded Teeth – tooth crowding is a condition where teeth in a jaw have insufficient space to align themselves properly. Crowded teeth not only appear unsightly, but they also make chewing and speech difficult. We use Invisalign aligners to cosmetically correct this problem.
- Overbite – an overbite is a condition where the upper teeth excessively overlap the lower teeth in a vertical dimension. Such a situation, if not treated, can lead to significant gum and jaw joint problems. Our orthodontists and cosmetic dentists at Cosmos dental can easily treat this problem by using Invisalign aligners.
- Underbite – an underbite is a condition where the lower teeth protrude in front of the upper teeth. This situation usually appears when the upper jaw fails to grow in comparison to the mandible. Since underbite is opposite to the normal alignment of the teeth, it must be corrected as soon as possible, to avoid jaw joint problems. Invisalign aligners can be used to correct this problem.
- Teeth Gaps – Invisalign aligners are an excellent treatment option for correcting gaps between adjacent teeth. Such a condition, also known as a diastema, must be corrected to avoid future dental complications.
- Cross-bite – a cross-bite appears when the upper and lower teeth are not properly aligned in the lateral dimension. Since there is poor alignment of teeth, it can lead to cosmetic problems, in addition to difficulties in eating and speech. A cross-bite can be treated with Invisalign removable aligners at Cosmos Smiles in Arlington VA.
It must be mentioned here that Invisalign aligners can only treat problems that have a dental origin. For problems that arise due to a defect in the positioning or angulation of the jaws or facial bones, maxillofacial surgical treatment is required.
How Invisalign Treatment Works?
Unlike the conventional teeth braces, which remain fixed to the teeth during the whole duration of treatment, the Invisalign system involves a set of numbered removable aligners that are worn sequentially to move teeth in the desired direction. Here’s how this system works:
- Case Evaluation – before starting the treatment, we will first evaluate your medical and dental records to evaluate your suitability for treatment with Invisalign.
- Digital Impression – once we have decided that you are a suitable candidate, we will make digital impressions of your teeth. These impressions will be fed into a special software that helps us in deciding the best plan for your treatment.
- Designing the Aligners – the software helps us to design a set of aligners which you will wear sequentially until your treatment has been completed. The best thing about Invisalign treatment is that you will be able to visualize how your teeth will look after your treatment has been completed. Therefore, you have full control over your treatment.
- Wearing the Aligners – we will design the aligners in such a way that they will force the misaligned teeth to move into normal positions. You will wear your first set of aligners for 2 weeks. Afterwards, you will switch to the second numbered aligner which will continue to re-align your teeth. In this way, you will continue to wear the aligners until the desired alignment and aesthetics have been achieved. For optimal results, you should wear the aligners for at least 22 hours in a day. However, you can remove them when you eat or, brush your teeth.
- Retention – the final step is to hold the teeth firmly into their newly acquired positions. This will be done by providing you with a removable or fixed retainer that prevents your teeth from reverting to their previous state. Depending on the severity of your case, you may be required to wear retainers for three to six months.
What are the Benefits of Invisalign Treatment?
Invisalign aligners carry several benefits over the conventional braces. Some of them include:
- Esthetics – Invisalign aligners will not disturb your smile and looks. Therefore, you can wear them with confidence that they will not become visible whenever you smile or speak. The same is not true for fixed braces.
- Comfort – unlike the braces, Invisalign aligners are comfortable and convenient. You can easily remove them during eating, thereby allowing you to effectively chew and to enjoy all your favorite foods.
- Convenience – teeth braces require frequent visits to the dentist for checkups. In case of the Invisalign system, we will provide you with all the aligners which you will continue to wear successively. This means that you will require fewer checkup visits, thereby saving your time and gas.
Cosmos dental specializes in providing all types of general and cosmetic dental treatment such as dental implants, veneers, dentures, and Invisalign. Book an appointment today so that we can take care of your dental problems. We look forward to seeing you at our office!